Wednesday, January 24, 2007

blogs, education, innovation & me


I'm the odd element in the series, the other words come together naturally (collocate:)). But I plan to do my best to improve the situation: I have joined an online workshop on integrating blogs into teaching and I follow it closely, reading, posting, interacting, having fun.
The other day I thought about this innovative method of improving teaching and I realised that, although blogs seem to have been around forever, I can hardly name teachers who use blogs in their teaching, besides the incredible enthusiastic group of people around this project. And while thinking about it, I remembered Rogers and his curve of innovation adoption (it's up there, I haven't yet learned how to drag it here). I have no clue whether we are now just starting to integrate blogs in the teaching/learning process or I've just been ignorant and didn't realise that edublogs, like all sorts of blogs (I'm still learning jargon) developed in parallel. What I mean is that, looking at Rogers' curve, I don't know where I stand: am I an early adopter or just a laggard? Not that it's relevant to teaching, but it's always good to know where you start.

8 comments:

Berta said...

Hi Daniel, There is always a beginning somewhere. I am sure little by little you will get more used to blogging and will discover the many possibilities to enhance valuable and lasting learning.
You are in for a great ride. I hope to come back here again in the future and see your progress.
Best regards from another B4B friend, Berta

An said...

Hi Dan!
I like the way you faced your blog.
Although I use PC in class for gaming I've never integrated blogs to my teaching. I will do it this March as I'm really happy with the things I'm learning in this course and the support of the group.
I will come bak to see your next steps.
Up and ahead,
An

Veronica Baig said...

Hi Daniel:

I love the graph. It's only the last two years that I've become aware of blogging in the classroom, and that's because of an extremely keen innovator who presents on this topic at local conferences. There are always a few people who adapt an innovation very early on--the rest of us then seem to be running just catch up (it looks like running up the slope on the graph, but it's a continually moving target).
But we all have to start somewhere, and it's better to start somewhere than never to start at all!

Veronica

Berta said...

Oh, Dan, I have no idea now if a comment I wrote to you got deleted or is in the process of being moderated. Anyway, thanks for visiting my blog and I hope you can create your effects with picturetrail soon too.
Cheers, Berta

Kari said...

Dan, I like the graph you included in your post. I, too, have been wondering where I stand. I'd like to think that we are early adopters or early majority, but I am not sure. Here where I work no one has even touched on this. Who knows? Maybe we are all laggards around here! Keep up the good thoughts!

LucĂ­a said...

Hi Dan,
I've been wondering just the same... am I just trying out something that is new???? or are my students going to lol when I present them with the "novelty" of a class blog??? I'm a bit overwhelmed by all this, and really hope to find my way soon. I really like your design! and I share your academic interests too!

Claudia Ceraso said...

Daniel,

From your writing style in this post, you do not seem a newbie at all!

Perhaps a whole new world of tools is being revealed to you after B4B, and that can be overwhelming. It just happens.

Hope you stick to your reflective style, recording impressions as you discover. I really like it.

Best,

Claudia

testecarla said...

Dear Dan,

I guess it all depends on the context you're considering...For example, at my school, Erika and I are certainly early adopters. However, if you consider the Webheads (a community of practices of educators interested in teaching and the integration of technology), I'd say I'm a laggard!!!Also, you have to consider that even if you are a "late" beginner in one tech-tool, you can be innovative the way you use it in the classroom!

Well, just some ramblings...

Carla